School Counseling Program Mission Statement
The mission of Adobe Acres Elementary School's Counseling Program is to provide a comprehensive, developmentally age-appropriate school counseling program that is aligned with the ASCA national standards for school counseling programs. The program will focus on the education of all students in academic, career, and personal/social development in a collaborative partnership with parents/guardians, school personnel, and community members.
- Family Assistance - The School Counselor works hand in hand with our school’s Parent Liaison, Lizeth Aviles, in assisting families with uniforms and the school’s Food Bank.
- Health and Wellness - The School Counselor works with the school Social Worker, Nurse, and Psychologist to target specific health, mental health, social and environmental needs of students and families. Access to an array of wrap-around services is offered by the Health and Wellness team. The goal of the team is to improve classroom behavior, performance, and reduce dropout rates.
- Attendance - The Counselor works in partnership with the school to address concerns regarding excessive absences and tardiness.
- Mediation Program - The Counselor trains student leaders to become mediators which help their peers resolve a range of social conflicts inside and outside of the classroom.
- Classroom Guidance -Classroom guidance is an opportunity to provide support for the entire student body of Adobe Acres. Guidance lessons will focus on students' academic, personal/social, and career development.
- Individual Counseling - In the elementary school setting, all individual sessions are considered short-term in nature, and focused on solutions. If long-term counseling services are needed that are outside the scope of the Adobe Acres Counseling Program, assistance will be given in providing appropriate referrals to the Health and Wellness Team. Parental permission must be given for any individual sessions.
- Small-Group - Group counseling will be held during the student’s lunch period so academic learning will not be disrupted. Any staff member can make a referral to group counseling. Group counseling will provide additional support for skills such as friendship, attendance, anger management, and social skills.
Parent consultation is available by appointment. Please feel free to contact Ms. Martinez @ 877-4799 ex.51425. I look forward to working with the Adobe Acres community!
Reporting Abuse, Neglect, Or Potential Suicide/self Harm
Our most important job as Adobe Acres staff is to keep our students safe.
Anytime you observe the following please report it as soon as possible to the school counselors:
- A student has any marks or bruises that cannot be easily explained. Also reoccurring marks or bruises.
- Anytime a student says that they want to hurt themselves or somebody else (regardless of context or probability of occurring).
- "I wish I were dead"
- "I don't want to live"
- "I'm just going to run out in front of a car"
- "I'm going to shoot somebody"
Remember it is our legal duty to report child neglect or abuse and any potential harm a student might cause to themselves or others. We will help any staff members through the reporting process if needed. If you have any questions or concerns please contact the counselors right away. Every question or concern is important.